Together with the Government, it is the Assembleia da República that has the competence to draw up national legislation. When legislative texts containing legislative rules are passed by the Parliament, they become known as Decrees of the Assembleia da República, and then, once they have been enacted by the President of the Republic, as Laws of the Republic. (Government legislation is issued in the form of Executive Laws).
In this part of the website we aim to highlight the fundamental texts on politico-parliamentary life, because being familiar with them is one of the basic criteria for undertaking a full and participative citizenship.
It is also possible to directly access the legislative procedure database and to use it to search all the legal texts passed by the Assembleia da República, including the legislative ones, since the 1st Legislature.
In addition to the laws that are seen as structural cores of politico-parliamentary activities, the importance of the Rules of Procedure of the Assembleia da República has also earned them a place here. Even though they are not a law, inasmuch they are passed in the form of a Resolution of the Assembleia da República, they list the rules governing the internal organisation, modus operandi and procedures that enable the Assembleia da República to exercise the competences with which it is charged by the Constitution of the Portuguese Republic.
You can access some important legislation that is already available in English:
• Constitution of the Portuguese Republic
• Statute of Members
Code of Conduct for the Members of the Assembleia da República•
• Regime governing the Exercise of Functions by Political Officeholders and Senior Public Officeholders
• Assembleia da República Electoral Law
• Parity Law
• Legal Regime governing Referenda
• Law governing Political Parties
• Legal Regime governing Parliamentary Inquiries
• Law governing the exercise of the Right of Petition
• Legislative Initiative by Citizens
• Statute governing the right of opposition
• Monitoring, assessment and pronouncement by the Assembleia da República within the scope of the process of constructing the European Union
• Law no. 46/2003 of 22 August 2003 (Law regulating the monitoring of the involvement of Portuguese military
contingents abroad by the Assembleia da República)
• Law governing the organisation and modus operandi of the Departments and Services of the Assembleia da República (LOFAR)
• Statute governing Parliamentary Staff
• Law no. 36/2012, of 27 August 2012 - Undertakes the first amendment to Law no. 6/97, of 1 March 1997, which
authorises the broadcasting of parliamentary proceedings on the public and private cable TV networks, making it
available via digital terrestrial television
• Law no. 91/2001 of 20 August 2001 (Budget Framework Law)
• Law no. 151/2015 of 11 September 2015 (Budget Framework Law)
Law no. 151/2015 of 11 September 2015 | Consolidated version of the Budget Framework Law •
• Law on the Order of Precedence of the Protocol of the Portuguese State
• Law no. 26/2016 - Approving the regime governing access to administrative and environmental information and reuse
of administrative documents, transposing Directive 2003/4/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 28
January 2003, and Directive 2003/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 November 2003