Via its standing delegations, the Assembleia da República takes part in 8 international parliamentary organisations. The number of Members of the Assembleia da República in each delegation varies according to the articles of association of the organisation concerned:
• Inter-parliamentary Union (IPU) (11 members)
• Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE)
• Parliamentary Assembly of the Union for the Mediterranean (PA-UfM)
• Parliamentary Assembly of the Mediterranean (PAM)
• Parliamentary Assembly of the Community of Portuguese-Speaking Countries (PA-CPSC)
• NATO Parliamentary Assembly (NATO PA)
• Parliamentary Assembly of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCEPA)
• Ibero-American Parliamentary Forum (FPIA)
Each permanent delegation participates in the work of its organisation: plenary sessions, committee and subcommittee meetings, thematic meetings, election observation missions and study visits.
Members of the Assembleia da República who belong to these delegations
are appointed by their parliamentary groups at the beginning of each
legislature following the proportional method, i.e., according to the number of
votes obtained by each of the parties in the last legislative elections.
The International Relations Division is responsible for providing technical assistance to the permanent delegations, both in Portugal and abroad.
The parlamentary's annual budget includes a budgetary provision for the activities of the permanent delegations.