Together with the Government, it is the Assembly of the Republic that has the competence to draw up national legislation. When legislative texts containing legislative rules are passed by the Parliament, they become known as Decrees of the Assembly of the Republic, and then, once they have been enacted by the President of the Republic, as Laws of the Republic. (Government legislation is issued in the form of Executive Laws).
In this part of the website we aim to highlight the fundamental texts on politico-parliamentary life, because being familiar with them is one of the basic criteria for undertaking a full and participative citizenship.
It is also possible to directly access the legislative procedure database and to use it to search all the legal texts passed by the Assembly of the Republic, including the legislative ones, since the 1st Legislature.
In addition to the laws that are seen as structural cores of politico-parliamentary activities, the importance of the Rules of Procedure of the Assembly of the Republic has also earned them a place here. Even though they are not a law, inasmuch they are passed in the form of a Resolution of the Assembly of the Republic, they list the rules governing the internal organisation, modus operandi and procedures that enable the Assembly of the Republic to exercise the competences with which it is charged by the Constitution of the Portuguese Republic.
You can access some important legislation that is already available in English:
• Constitution of the Portuguese Republic
• Rules of Procedure of the Assembly of the Republic
• Statute of Members
• Legal Regime governing Incompatibilities and Disqualifications of Political Officeholders and Senior Public
• Assembly of the Republic Electoral Law
• Parity Law
• Legal Regime governing Referenda
• Law governing Political Parties
• Legal Regime governing Parliamentary Inquiries
• Law governing the exercise of the Right of Petition
• Legislative Initiative by Citizens
• Statute governing the right of opposition
• Monitoring, assessment and pronouncement by the Assembleia da República within the scope of the process of
constructing the European Union
• Law no. 46/2003 of 22 August 2003 (Law regulating the monitoring of the involvement of Portuguese military
contingents abroad by the Assembly of the Republic)
• Law governing the organisation and modus operandi of the Departments and Services of the Assembly of the
• Law 23/2011 of 20 May Approving the Parliamentary Staff Regulations
• Law no. 36/2012, of 27 August 2012 - Undertakes the first amendment to Law no. 6/97, of 1 March 1997, which
authorises the broadcasting of parliamentary proceedings on the public and private cable TV networks, making it
available via digital terrestrial television
• Law no. 91/2001 of 20 August 2001 (Law governing the Budgetary Framework)
• Law no. 151/2015 of 11 September 2015 (Law governing the Budgetary Framework)
• Law on the Order of Precedence of the Protocol of the Portuguese State
• Law no. 26/2016 - Approving the regime governing access to administrative and environmental information and reuse
of administrative documents, transposing Directive 2003/4/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 28
January 2003, and Directive 2003/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 November 2003